Proton Experience

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Go Tar Heels


A fellow patient called yesterday and invited me to the USC v. North Carolina basketball game last night in downtown Los Angeles. We left Redlands around 3:30 and went through rush hour traffic and arrived at the USC campus around 5:30 p.m. I never thought I would meet someone that liked to get to events earlier than I did, but we had to wait about a hour for the gates to even open. We made a slight mistake at the McDonald's across the street as my proton buddy began yelling, " Go Tar Heels" at the top of his voice. He is from North Carolina, and was really into the event. However, this did not go over too well with a couple of rather large gentleman that were graduates of USC and we attracted the attention of the security guard. Yes, there is a security guard at McDonald's, and he was packing heat. We made a quick exit, me leading the way and my friend still yapping.

The game was really fun. College basketball is a great venue. I would guess that at least a third of the crowd was in Carolina Blue. Luckily we were in a section with nearly all North Carolina fans, many as rabid as my friend. Our beloved Tar Heels were upset by USC, making for a quiet ride home. We caught I-110 northbound out of the stadium and it was jammed with cars, six lanes wide, at 10:00 pm. I continue to be amazed at the volumes of traffic.

Treatment number 16 was completed without a hitch. Early morning treatments are definitely more prompt. Two gentleman were completing their treatments today so the mood was pretty festive in the waiting room. It is business as usual tomorrow, then a three day break over Christmas.

Happy Holiday to everyone!


2 Comments:

  • Hey, proton buddy! It's nice to know that California is now on the receiving end of your rambunctious personality! I'm heading out the door shortly for the holiday and wanted to send some Christmas cheer your direction.
    As you and I discussed before you left Wenatchee, this experience is a unique opportunity to pause and reflect on life. The best in life is seldom the loudest moment - it's what happens during the quiet times. Your stories leave me wondering if God isn't using you in this "quiet time" to help support others through their treatments.
    Best wishes over the holiday season, Randy. Maintain the faith that He will protect and heal you. Merry Christmas!

    Jeff

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:01 PM  

  • Randy,

    Reading your day-to-day accounts is better than a Christmas card. Thanks for letting us in on it all. Your stories help me appreciate my own family all the more -- the kids will be home this Saturday afternoon for a week or so. Terry's friends from high school have started dropping by as some of them are home visiting family as well, and it's great to hear the stories of their unfolding lives. Halls around here at the office are thinning faster than a bald spot on a 56-year-old as the week wears on. By Friday afternoon, the place will be deserted ... but I suspect the plates of cookies and candy will still be around after the long weekend. (They are all wondering where you are???) Have a great Christmas with your family.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home