Proton Experience

Friday, December 30, 2005

treatnum=(treatmax*0.5)-1


In other words we are one treatment short of being 50% complete. I have two daughters and a wife that make a living involving computers so I thought it would be fun to send them an equation today. I have also been reading that geeks are becoming cool, so along with blogging I are doing what I can.

Actually I thought of this equation this morning while I had my treatment, as I was trying to think of anything that would distract me. It was a bit of adventure as there were computer problems after I was locked down. There is a fan like mechanism that you can hear spin up to speed just before the protons begin to flow. Today the fan was running for a long time and then it stopped. It made me flash back to the approaches to EAT that are aborted and you go back to Seattle. It seemed like quite a while before they came in to tell me to lay still, they had to replace a power supply. It took another 15 minutes or so for the fan to start again, and then the "beeps" that signify radiation beam flow were very slow. They have told me before they have metering devices that sum the dosage and that some days there is a lower "flow" rate. By the time I got out I was heading to a restroom with great haste. They want you to have a full bladder when you go in for treatment, so any significant delay makes you uncomfortable to say the least. There is a story that makes the rounds of someone that laid there for 2 hours before receiving treatment. I personally think it is folk lore, as anything over 45 minutes and I would be calling for mission abort.

There are no treatments until Tuesday, so a long weekend of rain (really) and then back to the pod.

Hope everyone has a great New Year.

3 Comments:

  • Hi Dad --
    Too bad about the slow progress this morning, but like you said before I am happy to hear they are very careful about "all systems go" before delivering the treatments. I woke up to the contstruction crew outside my window this morning, but at least it motivated me to get up and do some chores. Hope you enjoy the long weekend! Love and miss you lots, Karen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 AM  

  • Greetings, Randy, and Happy New Year! I spent a little time this afternoon (Mon) getting caught up on your blog reports. Much of the holiday weekend has been committed to skiing. Snow conditions have improved dramatically in recent days due to a series of storms. In fact, we were skiing on a foot of fresh powder Friday afternoon at Mission Ridge. The new Quad lift at Mission (The Liberator) seems to have worked out its initial mechanical problems and is performing well. Travel time to the top of the mountain has been cut in half. It appeared they had great crowds throughout the weekend, although folks were well dispersed across the mountain and lift lines were minimal. We miss your smile and sparkling personality around here, Randy. I trust that you remain patient and focused - trusting your care to His hands. Blessings, brother.

    Jeff

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 PM  

  • Hi Randy,

    I'm Ed Piper, Ruth's cousin. Got the blog address from your Christmas letter when I was at Muffy's house for Christmas. Fun reading about your experiences. Sounds like protons are easier to take than chemo. I was wondering if I can visit you guys sometime as long as your spending some time in southern California. My e-mail address is res1pvwr@verizon.net and home phone = (310) 372-2330. I always have the answering machine on as most calls I don't want. I can give you my work numbers through another channel so I don't post them in a public forum.

    Don't get too radioactive (but kill the bugs). Ed

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home