Proton Experience

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Double 3's


Treatment 33 was accomplished today, things have been very smooth this week. I still have only very minor side effects so we are very happy at the position we are in as we head down the homestretch. I am gaining the dreaded reputation of being the one that somehow breaks the machine. Yesterday my gantry went down shortly after my treatment, the second time that has happened. It is all in good fun as my fellow patients are asking that I move my treatment to the last one of the day.

It is very interesting to be out and around so early in the morning. Most days I head out the door at 5:30 am in order to be at the hospital by 1/2 hour prior to the treatment. There are two things of interest that I have noticed this week. The first is that there are about 8 people who I call "commute sleepers". They arrive at the hospital parking lot about the same time as me, then lay their seats back and go to sleep. They have a difficult commute and they cannot count on being at work on time unless they leave very early. So they leave in time to miss the heavy traffic and catch some sleep before their shift. The second is that there are people here that apparently make a living by going through dumpsters. Ruth knew this was happening as we put out some unwanted items and she bet they would be gone by the morning. I lost the bet and was curious what was going on. Yesterday I saw a very new truck with custom sideboards parked at the dumpster. Four men were methodically going through the garbage and pulling out items that they must sell somewhere. These observations have made me appreciate even more my 3 minute commute in Wenatchee to a job with a great company.

We had a great weekend, the picture today is of the sunset at Swami's Beach in Encinitas, CA. There was an unusually low tide at sunset so we went for a stroll along the tidepools as the sun was setting. It was a beautiful sunset and you can see from the picture I enjoyed the company.

2 Comments:

  • We have all enjoyed your blog and photo's and are glad our prayers for your health seem to be working. You and your family are truly amazing...we are headed to a Pasco High basketball game against Eastmont. We hope to take Gary and Judy out to dinner after we watch his son play and kenna cheer...on opposite sides of course. markus is still hoping to head to basic training in two weeks so I sent him to Seattle to hopefully see everyone today...I am so glad things are going well and I know you are tough and have great family support. We are always thinking of you and wish you well...steve and family.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:49 PM  

  • Hi, Randy. What a great sunset photo on the beach! It's easy to forget that it's actually sunny and warm in other parts of the world. We received a good round of snowfall in the mountains this past week. I just read Curt Carlson's latest Columbia River runoff forecast - up 9% from 10 days earlier to 101% of average. Carol Wardell and Gregg Carrington and I spent Friday afternoon skiing at Mission Ridge. The snow conditions were the best in years. Not surprising, Carol put Gregg and I to shame. At the top of one run, Gregg looked down the 90% slope as Carol easily manuvered through the moguls and remarked: "She's trying to kill us. Let's go over there!" Maintain the faith, brother. We're all looking forward to your return!

    Jeff

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home