Proton Experience

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Dang Power Supply


We are headed down the homestretch as treatment numbered 39 was completed today. The countdown has not been easy as equipment problems have caused chaos all week. The most serious was when the power supply was the problem on Tuesday which has seemed to cause computer and equipment problems the rest of the week. I have not missed a treatment, but have had to be patient to get them done. If the accelerator was a football team it would have been flagged for numerous false starts. Yesterday my original treatment time was 6:15 a.m. and the treatment finally occurred at 8:00 p.m. In the meantime, there were a number of attempts that were foiled at the last moment by equipment problems. Things have been so smooth that I had forgot how hard it can be when you struggle to get a treatment. The worst was watching some of the people in the waiting area trying to get their very first treatment. I tried to counsel them to be patient, but it seemed funny that I would try and tell anybody about the virtues of patience. Chaos reigned again this morning as my treatment was delayed, with false starts and offside penalties, for three hours. I also am taking a lot of good natured ribbing about the fact that I seem to be in the building when problems occur.

Ruth and I had a chance this week to visit an Air Force museum near March Field. The museum was interesting as it had over 50 aircraft from WWI to present day. One exhibit detailed the exploits of a Thaddeus Lowe during the Civil War. He apparently was the first to use an aircraft, a balloon, to do reconnaissance during a battle. The exhibit described him as being hard headed, so I don't think he is related to our family.

We have begun to prepare for our trip home. There are about 5 of us that started just after Thanksgiving that will be completing next week. As much as I want to be home it will be difficult to say good-bye to some of these men as they have become good friends. It has been very enriching for me to spend time with them and I know the friendships will change as we all go home. It is clear that we do have a common bond that is strong as I have gotten calls from recent graduates to ask how I am doing and to offer encouragement.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Rand-a-rooski! Just getting caught up on the latest Proton happenings. Single digits - what a great feeling. I am sure Wenatchee is ready to have the Lowes back in town soon.
    The weather teased us a bit on Wednesday in Vancouver when it hit 60 degrees, but alas, we are back to rain. I can't wait for spring and outdoor volleyball!
    Take care,
    Corie Isaacson

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:04 PM  

  • Randy, So thankful you have posted what has been happenig with your treatments. Barbara and I continue to pray for you. Know you must be getting excited about coming back to Wenatchee. We have a great memory from the pleasurable outing with you this summer.
    Keep Smiling,
    Don James

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home