Proton Experience

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Single Digits


Treatment number 35 was completed Friday, and it was a milestone as we only have nine to go. As one of my fellow patients said, " Single digits, must be nice". The week seemed to go really fast as the treatments were completed like clockwork. I gave up my early morning treatment slot for a patient that was finishing up on Thursday and it was interesting having a treatment in the middle of the day. Most of the other patients in the middle of the day are the newest arrivals, and they had a lot of questions for me because of my "senior class" status denoted by a red dot on my badge. There are so many things on your mind that first week and it made me appreciate how well my treatments have gone.

My fellow patients continue to be the richest part of this experience. One who finished treatments this week was a women that had a tumor wrapped around her spinal cord. I was amazed by her spirit and warmth throughout her treatment. Over 80% of the patients here are men being treated for prostate cancer. She attended all of the support group meetings and always seemed to have a smile on her face. I asked her if she got tired of these meetings listening to guys talk about their prostate. She answered that it wasn't about the content of the meetings, it was to be with people that understand what it is like to fight this disease. Her fight will be much harder than most of us but I think, and hope, she will win.

I also had a chance to talk to three former patients that were back in town for checkups. Two of them fly out in the winter, play some golf, and get a checkup. They were all doing very well which is good to hear. They took a lot of time to talk to a man that was in the waiting room considering this treatment. It seems like yesterday that I had all the same questions and insecurities regarding proton treatment; it's a difficult decision. At this point it feels like a really good decision for me.

I decided not to do the 1/2 marathon last weekend as my body, and my wife of 30 years, sent some pretty clear feedback that I needed to consider training for next year's race. Several people mentioned road work, along with the carbo loading might be in order. Peter and Karen participated along with 5,000 of their closest friends. They both said it was quite an experience as the race wound along the ocean in Carlsbad, CA. Peter and his friend Zeke also decided to do pushups at each mile marker, don't ask me why. I was proud of Karen as this was a longest race she had done. As you can see from the picture they received "participant" medals for their efforts.

P.S. Treatment 36 is completed, only 8 to go. A friend from Brewster, WA finished today and they are on the road home. They are great people and were fixtures for the morning gang and it was bittersweet to see them leave today.

5 Comments:

  • Randy:

    What a marvelous picture of you and Piper with your last note. There are benefits to being in California aren't there?

    So glad to hear you are down to single digits and almost home!

    Thanks for the blog. I have heard from many how much they enjoy reading your notes even if they don't post messages everyday.

    We are thinking about you and anxious for your return, Keep smiling!

    Lisa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 PM  

  • Hey Randy
    It's so great to hear you're doing well and it's almost over. I really do miss your smiling face and your energy (yes, your energy!). It just isn't the same around here without you. How's Ruth doing? I'm sure she's your rock. By the way, that is the best picture of you and Piper at the beach. Life just doesn't get much better than that. Anyway, stay positive and know we all love and care about you. You're almost to the finish line!
    Jenn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 PM  

  • Randy,

    Single digits here are even better than on the golf course! Victoria and I are very happy to hear you are so near to the end of the protocol.
    I am sure Em, P3 and Piper are glad too, but having you so near has been such a wonderful thing for Casa Ligotti.
    Wishing you continued clear sailing and sending you our fondest thoughts... Victoria and Pete...the elder residents of Casa North.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:15 PM  

  • Hi there 

    What does everyone think of what is going on in Iraq?

    Wow, I've found the same to be true too!  Where did you get that at?  

    See you soon! Girly Girl 



    [color=#69c][url=http://paid-physician-surveyrvleczszw.bl
    ogspot.com]how I make money with paid surveys[/url][/color]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home