Proton Experience

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Mission Complete

It was not smooth, but the final treatment was completed on Thursday. Whoo hooo! The accelerator had broken down on Wednesday just after my treatment so all the gantries had been put out of business. We were busy getting ready for the trek home and did not realize that the outage was expected to be for an extended period of time. We went to the Wednesday night patient support group meeting and I had just given my brief "graduate" speech when it was announced that the machine was down for an indefinite period of time. There was stunned silence in the room as people realized what that meant for the four of us that had one foot out the door. It also meant that people that had not gotten a treatment that day were looking at the dreaded "double dip", two straight days without treatment. They requested that we be patient and wait for them to call us before coming in for a treatment. Since my treatment was scheduled very early in the morning I decided to follow my morning routine and hope for the best. When I arrived at the infamous Level B I was greeted by an eerie silence, only low background music that I didn't even realized played in the waiting room as it is usually very noisy. It was Carly Simon and apparently, after all these years, she still doesn't have time for the pain. Speaking of time, it looked like we were going to have a lot of time as the technicians told me that it was one of the main magnets that was down. It was overheating, which indicated an internal short. The treatment staff began to determine what the patient sequence would be when the machine came up. First came the children, then any new patients that were supposed to receive treatment the previous day, then next came anybody that had not received treatment the previous day. This made logical sense to me but was relatively bad news as it looked at one point like we may have to stay over the weekend. When they explained the situation to me, I thanked them for working hard for everyone and trudged back to the very empty apartment. This had to be the low point for the adventure because when I got home it was clear that Ruth had either a case of the flu or some kind of food poisoning. She was not feeling well and even if I had gotten my treatment it was doubtful if we could travel.

By Thursday at noon things started to turn around. Ruth had been able to sip some 7-up and keep down some crackers. I talked to my technicians and they were thinking the repairs may be complete within a couple of hours and they wanted me close by. I went back in, and all the children who were being treated for cancer were in the waiting room. My stomach did a couple of flip-flops seeing them all together as I had only seen a couple of the children in the early morning. They had decided that they were going to treat anyone with only one to go after the children, since they had more treatment slots available than they had expected. It was odd feeling as I walked out of Gantry #3 for the last time, it was more numbness than the exhilaration that I had expected. I was very moved by the kindness of some of my patient friends who waited in Level B to wish me well and briefly celebrate my last treatment.

When I got back to the apartment Ruth was feeling a little better so we finished packing and headed across the north edge of the Los Angeles basin to catch I-5. It was somehow fitting as the smog was very dense and had a noticeable effect on our eyes and lungs. As we climbed the Grapevine hill out of Los Angeles the air quality improved as did our spirits. The weather looked good all the way home and we felt confident the trip would go well, if there were enough rest stops along the way.

After a short night just north of Sacramento we blasted home on dry roads and clear skies and arrived at Wenatchee at 9:00 pm Friday night. The final tally was about 1200 miles in 22 hours of driving. It was great to be home, I don't think it ever looked so good.

I will put together some thoughts together early next week as the final post on this adventure. Right now I am going to walk through the house and savor the feeling of being home.

5 Comments:

  • Randy and Ruth , some one shared your Blog page with me or the way to access it and I was so grateful I didnt want to pester you as I knew you was on a serious mission. I did want news of your journey. you really expierenced a lot,

    You have such great ability to express your self, and it was like talking to you the pictures were so good,and added to the great interest I had . you had a fine sense of humor and I had a simular expierence on the freeway I was co pilot for harry and got to looking around and missed a off ramp and I said I hate to tell you Harry we have passed the off ramp and he who cant carry a tune started singing " You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille"and we started laughing and I figured out what to do and we was Ok.

    I am Happy your home, I know home has a special place in our hearts

    thank you for sharing your expierence with us all Be well
    Love Ruby

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:43 PM  

  • R Lowe,

    Welcome home. Thanks for keeping the Blog updated - it was great to read the experiences and see the pictures posted. Hope to see you at the office soon. Enjoy the last week off before getting back into the grind.

    Janet Jaspers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 AM  

  • Randy: I read with interest your experience with the treatment of your prostate cancer. In November, 2005 I was informed by my urologist that I had prostate cancer. On January 17th I went through a radical prostatectomy in Wenatchee Hospital. During the period from November to my surgery in January I visited many websites and talked to many doctors from oncology radiologists, urologist to my GP doctor. As time advanced toward my day of surgery, I could not believe all of the men who came forward to let me know they have gone through some form of prostate cancer treatment. In addition I talked to many male friends who did not know what a PSA test was and even some who did not know what a prostate was.

    Since my successful surgery on January 17th, I have had a miracle recovery, not experiencing the negative effects many men have. I have been blessed in many ways. I really believe in my heart that our male population needs to become more aware of this disease. I talked to a gentleman and a prostate cancer survivor in Seattle by the name of Steve Fleischmann who organized a fund raiser for the awareness of prostate cancer and raised money for further research. This happened 2 years ago and his guest speaker was Lance Armstrong and they raised $3M. He organized and held his 2nd annual fund raiser for prostate cancer research in November of 2005. He is now taking it internationally and organizing fund raiser through the world.

    I have a passion to make more men aware of this disease and to provide funds for further prostate cancer research. I was overwhelmed when talking to Steve about how to organize a fund raiser, but he did say that you should think about starting small and building from there. Would you be interested in being involved in the organization of a fund raiser and awareness program to reach out to men in our community?

    I, like you work full time and I know that this will take some time and involve many people, but I do believe that those who have experienced prostate cancer have a passion to help others.

    I can be reached at 509-548-2125.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:25 PM  

  • My dear friend had this proton treatment at Loma Linda about a year and a half ago. He now has stage 5 progressive radiation induced cystitis. He is in constant severe pain and his urine is always blood. His doctor at Loma Linda basically told him last week "Sorry this is very rare and there is nothing I can do. You are going to basically lay in bed bleed and bleed to death . He has been down to Lowell Parson who has given him bladder installations which helped the pain. He has to take them 5 to 6 time a day. Every month or so we end up running him up to the emergency room because the pain is so bad that his bladder goes into spasms. When he goes to the emergency room he get's a shot that knocks him out for the night. He has tries the hypobaric chamber with no progress. Every hospital I call to try to get him help pretty much tells me he has to wait 4 months to be seen. When I explain what kind of pain he's in and the constant bleeding they usually try to get him in within a couple of weeks. Before the proton treatment, you couldn't get this guy to sit down for more then 5 mins. He was always very active and I mean active. He could run circles around anyone I know. Now he can't get out much and I don't know what's killing him more, the pain and bleeding or having to be inside all the time. If you're going to get this proton thing done definatley think twice about it because it can go wrong and when it does good luck finding anyone (and I mean anyone) who knows how to treat it or wants anything to do with it. Yes is PSA is now very low

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 PM  

  • Hey,

    I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]loweproton.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Let me present you with one fact here. Recent Scientific Research indicates that almost 70% of all United States adults are either obese or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

    About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home